Synagogue on Delos: identification and context Public Deposited
Downloadable ContentDownload PDF
- Last Modified
- March 21, 2019
- Affiliation: College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Classics
- This thesis reassesses the much debated identification of the building GD 80 on Delos as a synagogue. First, the literary, epigraphic, and archaeological evidence and its significance for determining the function of the building is critically analyzed. Second, the Delian complex is compared with several other pre-70 CE buildings in Judea and Ostia that also have been interpreted as synagogues. It is argued that any definite identification of the building GD 80 is not currently possible.
- Date of publication
- May 2012
- Resource type
- Rights statement
- In Copyright
- ... in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts in the Department of Classics.
- Truemper, Monika
- Degree granting institution
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill