The Malgrange-Ehrenpreis theorem in distribution theory Public Deposited
Downloadable ContentDownload PDF
- Last Modified
- March 21, 2019
Fu, Eric Chin Hooi
- Affiliation: College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Mathematics
- This thesis explores the Malgrange-Ehrenpreis Theorem in the theory of distribution via an expository approach based on the text Introduction to the Theory of Distribution by G. Friedlander and M. Joshi. I will be focusing on the understanding of the proof of the Malgrange-Ehrenpries Theorem. In many places, I have closely followed the presentation of Friedlander's and Joshi's monograph. We begin with the definition and the properties of distributions. Next, we study Fourier transforms and its properties. We look at the Schwartz space and consider its dual space. We conclude the section by investigating the Fourier transform of several notable distributions, including the Dirac-delta distribution and the signum distribution. Finally, we introduce Fourier-Laplace transforms and examine the Paley-Wiener-Schwartz estimate. This estimate describes the polynomial decay property of the Fourier-Laplace trans- form of test functions. We conclude with a special case of Malgrange-Ehrenpreis Theorem and analyze its complex proof.
- Date of publication
- August 2010
- Resource type
- Rights statement
- In Copyright
- "... in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science in the Department of Mathematics."
- Williams, Mark
- Degree granting institution
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Place of publication
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Open access
This work has no parents.
|The Malgrange-Ehrenpreis theorem in distribution theory||2019-04-09||Public||