Where we come from: common problems and local solutions to the land tenure issue in rural Sardinia, Italy Public Deposited
Downloadable ContentDownload PDF
- Last Modified
- March 21, 2019
- Affiliation: College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Geography
- Rural communities and their land are the protagonists of my dissertation. Specifically I look at how access to land is negotiated at the local level, and at how the local models and global policies intersect. I also look at how rural women's role and identity have changed at the household and broader level, and at how all these changes are reflected at the community and societal levels. The geographical focus of my dissertation is the Italian region of Sardinia and, specifically, the two provinces of Gallura and Ogliastra, where I examine the role of access to land in shaping rural development patterns. In my field research I observed how local communities and local level government worked together towards the creation of viable land management policies that preserved the right of public access to land, within an intergenerational perspective. I also analyzed how the economic and political changes that have occurred at the regional and international levels have impacted the choice made at the local level. The practices that are currently implemented highlight the intrinsic dynamism and diversity of land tenure models, which are expressions of the power relations through which communities organize access to resources and ensure livelihoods. These models change in time and space, and they are the result of the transformations that occur in society, in people's needs and in people's movements - or migrations - among geographical spaces.
- Date of publication
- December 2010
- Resource type
- Rights statement
- In Copyright
- "... in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor in Philosophy in the Department of Geography."
- Wolford, Wendy
- Degree granting institution
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Place of publication
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Open access
This work has no parents.
|Where we come from : common problems and local solutions to the land tenure issue in rural Sardinia, Italy||2019-04-10||Public||